Monday, September 24, 2012

Wry Neck Treatment


Wry Neck Treatment 

Ok so in breeding vaulted silkies you will most likely have an issue with wry neck.  This is the treatment I use and has worked for me.
I give predizone 5mg either a half of the pill or a whole depending on age and size.  I also give an antibiotic called enrofloxine in liquid form or baytril in pill form, as well as vit E and B12.  You will have to slowly wean off the vits and the pred though.   And follow that with probios to get the good bacteria back in.  Depending on the severity of the injury it could take days, weeks or mths to cure the bird but it can be done.  I also isolate and provide a mush for food as in most cases they can not lift their head to drink water.  At night I will roll a wash cloth up and wrap them in it to prop their heads up.  I wish everyone the best of luck dealing with wry neck it is so hard to watch them go through it.